One last try (was: RE: Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list))

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed May 7 22:03:40 UTC 2003

Hi all!

I am getting VERY tired of all these threads.

Now people are discussing new tools for handling the harvesting - but
say a looong time ago when I brought it up noone seemed interested.
Well, Doug was and he has even written a Swiki page on the subject but
obviously people haven't looked.

Whatever - I don't care. As long as we get good tools. But that was a
sidetrack. Back to your thoughts Andreas. Please give me in a bullet
list what you think is the problem and a proposed solution so that we
can get on with it. It feels we are walking in circles.

I have sortof understood that you are asking for a decision process.
Fine, I agree. We probably naively thought that we could hold
discussions on the list and eventually boil things down to decisions -
but I guess people don't think such a "loose" variant works.

Any ideas? KISS? If you don't come up with a proposal I will, but right
now I am in a less good mood because of all this and generally don't
feel like proposing anything that people just will shoot down or don't
respond to.

Then regarding images/packages we will just have to wait and see how the
new SM and our packages will work together. I have great hopes for it
but I don't kid myself into thinking it will be a walk in the park. On
the other hand I firmly believe that we must make it work and that we
can make it work.

Debian is proof - if you have seen Debian in action you would perhaps
agree. Over 400 package maintainers. Over 10000 packages. Full
dependency tracking with a very sophisticated engine doing the magic. A
week ago I just wrote "apt-get upgrade" and it sucked home over 140
updated packages over the net, unpacked, updated, restarted daemons,
fixed configurations, everything. And it just worked. And if they can
pull that off we really must be able to.

Btw, the removals are getting into the stream tonight and we have IMHO a
conclusion that the Network rewrite should get in too. We just need to
do the legwork. Will you help Andreas? You know, look it through, put
your stamp on it. And please don't let uncommented stuff into the
stream. Every new class should have a class comment. :-)

regards, Göran