One last try (was: RE: Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list))

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed May 7 21:19:53 UTC 2003

Hi Daniel,

As this is going to be my last post in this thread (really! I promise ;) I
want to thank you for this discussion. Even if we have different opinions it
was a real pleasure to have this discussion with you.

> I'm saying you and other groups will be able to pursue "strategies" of
> inclusion, including releasing (somewhat) tailored image, in a Squeak
> world that supports sharing very well.
>
> IIUC, you're saying that if this were so you would be happy, but you
> don't trust we'll get there. Right?

Sigh. Yeah, that's one part of it but not all. My concerns really can't be
put into some mechanical solution or other - it's a general feeling that I
get when I look over what's happening to Squeak, how things develop, what
priorities are set. Having been in the Squeak community from its very
beginning, I have seen many changes (some for the good, some for the bad),
many successes, a few utter failures. But never before did I have the
feeling that Squeak is as strongly drifting off towards a direction where I
cannot see any future for it. That's why I asked for vision, that's why I
want that people look further than the (necessary) cleanup and
infrastructure work, encourage people to do cool things, encourage them to
be a place for fun and joy.

In some way it's funny that so many people have such a hard time
understanding what I'm talking about (I can literally see you scratching
your head about "what the hell does he want???" ;-). It means the community
really has changed (much more than I dared to think) over the years and its
interests have changed too. If that's the case, so be it. Good luck with all
the work you're doing (like I was saying, I find it important so this is
meant honestly).

Shutting up now.

Bye,
  - Andreas