Timezones

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu May 8 02:10:32 UTC 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 02:10:39AM +0200, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> Dave, Todd, Brent, can you guys work it out and tell us what's the best
> solution, and what it'll take, assuming we don't want to load all the
> ANSI compatibility stuff at this time?
>
> If the plan also handles the time zone primitive without too much
> hoople, all the better.

OK, I'm game.

Brent, I think you have the lead on the ANSI compatibility part.

I will dig up the old time zone offset primitive from Lex (and me) and
make sure it's compatible with current Squeak and with the ANSI stuff.
If yes, I'll put it forward to the guides/harvesters with recommendation
to include it (I guess that means I need to read the swiki and follow the
harvesting process, but I can probably manage to figure that out).

If the ANSI stuff breaks the TimeZone database, I'll fix the TimeZone
database. This will remain outside the base Squeak image.

Todd, I think you have the most experience with timestamps and integration
of time-related stuff into server applications, so we should defer to
you on that front (I don't know what the issues may be, if any).

Dave

p.s. I'm short of time due to an inconvenient bout of employment.  I'll
need a couple of weeks to catch up with this stuff, so cut me some slack
if I don't reply quickly to email.