Convincing a harvester (was on SqF list)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed May 7 23:34:35 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
	Ah, shoot. Why am I even writing this. The battle is lost anyways. There is
	simply nothing I can do convince the guides that the media (and many other)
	stuff is as important as any of the other activities. At least it is now
	clear to me that the original vision of Squeak is really dead today. "Thank
	you" for making this so utterly obvious.

I don't see how he comes to this conclusion.
If I have understood the other posters in this and related threads correctly,
* the multimedia stuff we now have WILL be in the "full" image
* nobody has said that work on multimedia stuff should stop
* on the contrary, we've heard that there are plans that stuff from
  Croquet *should* be folded back into Squeak
* and we've specifically heard about improved network code coming in,
  which is admittedly not directly multimedia, but is an important
  substrate for a lot of multimedia stuff
* and several people have been arguing strongly for adopting better
  font support
* it has been repeatedly stated that many people DO want the "original
  vision" to continue, and the people who don't greatly care about
  multimedia themselves seem to be perfectly happy that this should be
  so as long as they don't _have_ to have it.

I'll state my personal situation again.  I am not a multimedia person.
I don't do multimedia stuff.  Mostly, I teach, think, experiment, and
write.  BUT it would be really really nice to have good font support
in Squeak, AND I would much rather use Squeak than PowerPoint for doing
presentations, AND I would like to use Connectors for drawing diagrams
AND I like being able to use Celeste without leaving Squeak AND of
course it's nice to look at documentation using Scamper AND of course
I like listening to music while working AND while I don't "do" multimedia
I often do statistical calculations and plot stuff AND ...

In short, the environment I want to develop _for_ needn't contain very
much, but the environment I want to develop _in_ can usefully contain
quite a lot, including stuff normally called "multimedia" and not thought
of as "development" tools.