[UPDATES] 9 package removals for 3.6alpha

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu May 8 20:56:03 UTC 2003

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote:
> > Okay folks, the package removal updates are now here, things may get
> > rocky for a little while... proceed with caution.
> This is probably the time to start on the path of providing the 'base'
> and 'full' image options we've discussed. With these package removal
> updates installed an image is clearly on the path towards 'baseness'.
> Perhaps each batch of removal updates should be accompained by a trailer
> that will (at least offer to) install the appropriate replacement
> packages?
>
> Certainly I think we need to start having the two variants easily
> accessible on the ftp server with some suitable explanation to help
> people (especially newcomers) to decide which to fetch.

Yes, but please remember that we are in alpha still. All things in due
time for 3.6.
The ultimate distribution of Squeak IMHO would be with a kernel image
and a full locally cached SM. Since SM will include "load scripts" the
Basic image and the Full image can then easily be built by a click of a
button. No need to download them all three.

IMHO this is the simplest and best delivery method - the Minimal image +
SM. Build the other images from that using SM.

regards, Göran