Against package removal

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu May 8 21:43:53 UTC 2003

Hi Anthony!

Anthony Hannan <ajh18 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > Anthony Hannan <ajh18 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> > > [snip] But more importantly, you can no
> > > longer find all senders and implementors of a class/method.
> > So we need extended tools for this. We needed extended tools in the
> > first place to even have the concept of looking for senders/etc by means
> > other than grep.
>
> Well, I want these tools before removals go into the update stream.  Can
> I get real updates while bypassing the removal updates?

Hmmm, not really. But you can easily reinstall the packages being
removed.

[SNIP]
> If I load them all I may get conflicts.  That is why we need real
> modules.  Again I want this before things are removed.

Well, I assume you have been following the plans for Squeak - like for
example the 3.6 plan since you are effectively working in the *alpha*
version of 3.6. Then this can not come as a surprise to you. Why don't
you just load the packages back that you need?

Doug is already asking for someone to maintain a load script that does
this in one swoop.

But again - you are sitting in 3.6 alpha. We need to do this. We have
explained in detail what we are doing and why.

regards, Göran