Squeak : the Sharing, the Direction, the Code Submissions (the Good, the Bad & the Ugly)

Benoit St-Jean bstjean at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 16:21:02 UTC 2003

Okay guys!

After reading a zillion posts, I decided I'd put my 2
cents in the discussion.

Obviously, just by looking at the names on this list,
there's a huge amount of talent and brain in the
Squeak community.  How come we can't come up with
something?  How come we can't figure out a decent
solution for sharing, code submission, Squeak
direction, etc.

There's a lot of communities out there and a lot of
them are friendly environments for sharing,
collaboration and good places for individual opinions
and projects.  I think we should probably imitate one
that works...

How come can't we have something like the Ruby
repository, Debian, CPAN or the Cincom community with
StORE.  And do we really need only one direction for
Squeak?  Do we really need a rigid procedure for code
submission?

I'd say we work on establishing the limits of the base
image and let people attach their own goodies on top
of it, just like VW.  And just like VW, if your stuff
is good enough, people will love it and use it a lot
and it will eventually be included in what's
considered the base image.

Let's work on splitting the image, not the community!

Like most people here, I just want to code and enjoy
Squeak!  Do I really care about Squeak direction?  Yes
and no.  I'm doing a lot of database stuff while some
people are using Squeak for multimedia, others use
Comanche/Seaside etc.  Obviously, whatever we decide
for the next Squeak, there's going to be a lot of
unhappy people.  We're a democracy so I'll go with
whatever the majority decides, even though it might no
please me.  Just like Cincom, IBM, Object Arts or
Persist AG can push their product in a new direction
and I can't say a word.

I'd also say that the next thing we need is a good
StORE/ENVY/Monticello tool for code management.  I f
we want to do serious code sharing, base image
stripping, manage multiple conflicting code
submissions, we need a serious tool quick or get a
dozen more harvesters!

All that being said, back to Smalltalk...  :)

=====