VMMaker SM package release

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri May 9 18:14:59 UTC 2003

The latest VMMaker/VM code package is now up on SM for all those
interested. It seems to
a) appear correctly in the list of available packages
b) install ok (assuming you've previously used the removal package or
the new update 5198 - I'm not even going to think about loading it over
the top of the old stuff)
c) produce a working VM for RiscOS and linux. I hope to get to try it
for Windows and maybe Mac today but I'm not expecting any nasties.

The package includes an improved VMMakerTool with various fixes
including Stephen Pair's change to allow you to specify a class other
than 'Interpreter' as, well, Interpreter. Ask him about how this is
useful.

The VMMaker now supports the use of a big global struct that (most)
globals get put into; this is of some benefit to PPC machines and huge
benefit to ARM machines. I hope we can work out how to use it for
ARM/WinCE machines soon. For machines not needing it, it doesn't get
used.

The VM itself has:-
Andreas' fix to help reduce the chance of root table overflow
Andreas' change to alpha compositing
Anthony's extra prims for assisting the use of closures, so
experimenting with his code will be simpler for non-vm-maker folks.
Cleanups to the Mac related browser plugin code (these make it
_essential_ that you get the latest platforms/Cross/sq.h from SF if
nothing else).
Slightly faster gc code.
Other stuff I can't recall because it happened so long ago.

I've included in the package
RePlugin
BMP writer extension to the BMP plugin

It's been used many, many times and seems pretty solid but I'm sure
somebody can find some bugs for us. Enjoy.

tim
Strange OpCodes: EOS: Erase Operating System