Etoys, Alice and tile programming

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at squeakland.org
Sat May 10 03:41:10 UTC 2003

Jeff --

At 8:50 PM -0700 5/9/03, Jeffrey T. Read wrote:
>On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 08:09:28PM -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
>>
>>  My first experience with tile programming was in the Helix database for
>>  the Mac (http://www.helixtech.com/1Product/index.html). But it also had
>>  arrows between tiles, so it felt a little like a dataflow system (such
>>  as Prograph or Fabrik).
>>

>I remember messing around with an Amiga-based tile programming
>system. After about half an hour of making the voice synth say crude
>or funny things, I quit the program and never looked at it again.
>Building anything complex (and even at 15, to me all the interesting
>stuff was complex) would have tired out my mouse hand in a hurry.

Yes, I think this is generally true. The tile stuff is great for just
starting, and especially for younger kids, but it gets awkward when
it is scaled up. However, the tile version that the Alice folks did
is for older kids and does scale better than the etoys (I think).
Another version of assisted programming -- popups for next possible
stuff -- could really do a better job these days.

Cheers,

Alan