Etoys, Alice and tile programming

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Sat May 10 06:41:06 UTC 2003

Ned Konz wrote:

> On Friday 09 May 2003 08:41 pm, Alan Kay wrote:
> > At 8:50 PM -0700 5/9/03, Jeffrey T. Read wrote:
> > >Building anything complex (and even at 15, to me all the
> > > interesting stuff was complex) would have tired out my mouse hand
> > > in a hurry.
> >
> > Yes, I think this is generally true. The tile stuff is great for
> > just starting, and especially for younger kids, but it gets awkward
> > when it is scaled up. However, the tile version that the Alice
> > folks did is for older kids and does scale better than the etoys (I
> > think). Another version of assisted programming -- popups for next
> > possible stuff -- could really do a better job these days.
>
> What gets awkward first? Is it the vocabulary growing, or is it the
> connection between the scripts, or what?
>
> Do individual scripts get unwieldy or is it the large number of them
> that does?

For the stuff I have done with etoys I usually get into real trouble
around the point where I have 10 objects with 10 scripts. It's a
combination
of
-screen real-estate
-multiple stepping scripts
-system slowness when realigning a script that change contents size
-hard to reuse code
-hard to extend code
-hard to refactor

Lot's of these points come generally from bad planning/ no planning in
advance :-)

Also I usually get into trouble with etoys copy functions (they run astray),
collections and data types.

All this aside, I enjoy etoy scripting :-)

Karl