[ANN] Bug Fix Viewer Archive, on SqueakMap

Brent Vukmer bvukmer at blackboard.com
Sat May 10 21:44:43 UTC 2003

I have registered the packages and load script for the Bug Fix Archive Viewer on SqueakMap.  The BugFixArchiveViewer automates a good bit of the process of browsing to the Bug Fixes Archive, downloading a fix/enhancement changeset, evaluating the changeset, and posting a comment to the Squeak development email list. The 'post comments' feature creates a mail message that is automatically built with a Bug-Fixes-Archive-parser-compliant subject line.

There are frighteningly-huge screenshots at: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3204

This is for 3.6alpha, and 3.5 images.  The 1.0 version is definitely *alpha* software.  There are a number of annoying Known Issues.  Test pilots are the only people that may not tear their hair out when using the 1.0 version.

I have tested this load script on a current 3.6alpha image on Windows ( and a little on Unix ).  The "post comment" feature is designed to work after Celeste is removed from the image.

Known Issues:

(1) You have to close the current SMLoader instance after installing the load script.  I subclass from SMLoader, and make a few mods to it which the currently-running instance can't handle.

(2) The viewer takes a good long while to open the first time.  What can I say; screen-scraping takes awhile.

(3) Currently each new BugFixArchive object is built off a humongous list of Archive changeset URLs, stored as one big String on the class side of BugFixArchive.  There are no URLs that don't end in '.cs.gz', because when I built the big String, I didn't parse for URLs ending in '.cs'.

(4) Right now, a BugFixArchive object only shows Bug Fix Archive Posts that have a gzipped changeset attachment.