We need an ECP (Error Cleanup Project)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon May 12 10:39:28 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Avi,
>
> > Any comments?
>
> Yes. User-interaction are - for the most part - no "exceptional" things at
> all. Therefore, asking people to handle a UI request with an exception
> handler is something that ... shall we say ... is slightly unnerving to me.
> Rather than using exceptions I would provide a UI handler which takes these
> requests and handles them appropriately, e.g., something like:
>
> Object>>inform: aString
> 	^UIHandler inform: aString.
>
> If you want to get fancy about this you might have the UI handler to do all
> kinds of funny things, including asking the current process about some
> thread-local handler, throwing an exception, or whatever else. But the above
> makes it conceptually clear that the request is not exceptional whatsoever.

I second this I think. I assume UIHandler is a global holding onto a
suitable instance depending on how you can interact with the user,
right? You know, headless/morphic/whatever.

Then of course calls to #inform: and friends shouldn't be made from
"domain code". And before anyone says so - yes, I am guilty of those in
the SM code. But I will clean it up! :-)

regards, Göran