[IMPORTANT] Concrete proposals!

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon May 12 17:18:43 UTC 2003

On Thursday 08 May 2003 06:42 am, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

(about PROPs):

There is also a similar process in Ruby, except that Matz is the sole
decision-maker on such proposals.

> Otherwise Avi or I could easily whip up a little web app where
> these can be registered and managed - but let's start RIGHT NOW by
> doing it as I described above. We can always move them over to such
> a little websystem later. Ok?

The advantage of discussing these on the mail list (with subject tags,
of course) is:

* familiar tools -- we know how to use our email clients. Some of us
use them as full text databases.
* can continue the discussion in full view -- with the list archived
several places, there will continue to be a combined history of PROPs
and other discussion, in context.
* no uncertainty about where to discuss them -- when the discussion
veers off from the original PROP (as it will!), we don't have to
worry about cluttering the PROP discussion stream with off-topic
discussion

However, I would be in favor of being able to author a PROP and trace
its progress through the decision process (as opposed to its
discussion) using a Squeak app.

> Pill number two is to set a Guide responsible for keeping track of
> these PROPs, maintain a list somewhere, make sure they are decided
> on etc through voting or whatever means he/she chooses.
>
> Exactly how this Guide deals with this process is up to that person
> to figure out. That is called delegation. I would assume though
> that the Guide doing this looks hard at Python for inspiration.
>
> And just to make sure you understand I mean business with this
> proposal - I am willing to take on this role for starters but if
> someone else is eager then fine by me, I have lots to do with SM
> anyway - AS LONG AS SOMEONE TAKES THAT ROLE. Ok? It is simply of
> utmost importance.

Yes, this makes sense. I'd be willing to do it but I'm extremely busy
for the next month or so. You're already doing quite a bit, though.

> Problem #2:
> There is a perceived lack of Vision from the Guides. The community
> wants to know "where" we are heading. I have picture hanging in
> front of me as I write this. It is a poster from ThinkGeek. It
> looks like this: http://www.despair.com/ignorance.html

[snip]

> But we Guides will try to formulate in more detail where we hope
> that Squeak is going and our motivations for doing the things we
> are doing. The result will be a revised mission statement - call it
> version 2. :-) And if the other Guides are with me on this we will
> do this by running a discussion on the SqF-list where we synch our
> ideas/visions with each other and try to come up with something we
> can stand united behind. And hopefully this will be good enough.

I'll help with this discussion.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com