DENIM Web UI Designer

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon May 12 20:14:04 UTC 2003

On Monday 12 May 2003 12:44 pm, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> I'm eager to see that. Nathanael told me that this was cool. Do you
> know when/if this will be available?

I hope to have a demo of a PERT chart editing program within a few
days. Nathanael is working on enabling more flexible lookup (most
recently also to add yellow-button gesture dictionaries so that we
can use the button on the pen in the Tablet PC platform to do
different things).

> I also imagine that you guys found some bugs to fix here and there
> so I hope to see them put in the stream/image/not
> lost/packages(Connectors/Genie).

Yes, there will be updates to both packages, I'm sure.

> Because fix event handling or other is not simple nor fun (at least
> this is what I conclude when I see nathanael
> walking thinking about a bug because he cannot use the debugger)

Yes. I sometimes do Morphic programming from an MVC project, but then
you can't see the live Morphic process.

There's a goodie on SqueakMap that is supposed to help with Event
tracing; I haven't tried it yet but it may help Nathanael...
EventInterceptorMorph by Jesse Welton.

I just sent him a bug report for his Send Tree Explorer (which
EventInterceptorMorph uses), but it looks like it'll still be worth
trying. I'm sure he'll fix the (minor) bug soon (it sometimes doesn't
show some message sends).

Here's his description:

"
Have you ever wanted to trace some code which is part of the Morphic
UI process, or code triggered by it?  Had trouble trying to trace it
in the debugger because interacting with the UI changes what you're
trying to watch?  EventInterceptorMorph may be able to help!

EventInterceptorMorph is a tool which, when activated, begins
listening to the hand's event stream. When an even of the appropriate
type is encountered, the EventInterceptorMorph intercepts it and
traces the dispatch of the event using MessageSendTree, and opens a
SendTreeExplorer on the results. This is useful for debugging parts
of the UI process which are otherwise difficult to trace.
"

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com