[IMPORTANT] Concrete proposals!

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon May 12 21:18:21 UTC 2003

Am Montag, 12.05.03 um 21:02 Uhr schrieb Andreas Raab:

> What I tried with the above was explaining to you that all of the
> things we
> pursue are part of a larger context. Your note (quoted above) seemed to
> imply that the vision is something that concentrates on a specific
> computing
> artifact (like eToys, or the Dynabook). What you are missing is that
> all of
> these things are merely tools which mean nothing outside of some
> context -
> this is what "the ideas aren't in the computer" means.

It is the vision which sets Squeak apart (*). Not the language syntax,
not the VM, not the module system, not the media integration, not the
<insert_your_pet_feature_here> alone. Of course, all of this is
important, plus making it accessible to everyone, building an
instrument for thoughts. The real purpose of an instrument, though, is
not building it, but playing on it. And to build it well, you have to
keep its purpose in mind.

So yes, cleaning up the image and building the "platform" is important,
and it is great the fine folks on this list have taken on this task.
It's only that some messages gave the impression that this was the
*only* dedication that squeak-dev members in general, and Guides in
particular, are pursuing. *This* is dangerous, because without the
vision, Squeak would be just another programming environment. And we
don't want this to happen, do we? :-)

-- Bert

(*) See, for example, this great interview:
http://www.honco.net/os/kay.html