[IMPORTANT] Concrete proposals!

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon May 12 22:58:09 UTC 2003

Hi Joshua!

"Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus" <schwa at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
[SNIP]
> > > Definitely.  But let's take a less controversial example.  What if I made some
> > > improvements to the facial animation package such as fixing bugs, writing
> > > comments, and adding more examples.  This wouldn't work against modularization,
> > > but I still get the feeling the getting it accepted would be an uphill battle.
> >
> > A *very simple answer*: NO. :-)
>
> Yay!
>

> > If you fix bugs (most likely to not introduce messy deps), write
> > comments (does *not* introduce messy deps) and add examples (most likely
> > to not introduce messy deps) then it would simply be a god damn dream to
> > harvest!
> >
> > So why on earth do you think it would be an uphill battle to get it
> > accepted?! Is it because FIXes etc don't seem to get into the stream?
>
> No, FIXes seem to get in OK.

There are tons of FIXes stalled too...

> > This would be a natural conclusion. But it has very little if almost
> > nothing to do with any "policy" - its just that the harvesting process
> > is stalling!
>
> No, I've had a couple of FIXes get in.  But if I were to change how the
> EToy tiles work, I'd expect difficulty getting the change in.  Since you
> assure me that this is not true, I believe you.

Changing how eToy tiles work? Well, you would probably have a long
discussion in front of you - but probably not from the Guides. None of
us are eToyers I think, except for Ned who has been playing a bit. I
would expect though that the eToyers would give you a hard time... ;-)

> > We have been trying to get it running better and it is better now - but
> > people are simply not harvesting enough (or fast enough). I am
> > personally listed as a harvester but I have no time to put there! I am
> > 100% busy writing lenghty emails trying to do what I call "community
> > nursing" and trying to get SM1.1 into the water.
> >

> Ok, I'll shut up now.  And try to find time to do some harvesting.

That is simply great. I think you will hear from Doug Very Soon Now
asking for more help on that - stay tuned.

regards, Göran