SystemDictionary>>imageImports -> XXX>>imageImports

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Tue May 13 10:32:48 UTC 2003

Hi Stephane,

thank you for replying to me. I think I should have left out the
middle part of my post regarding references to Smalltalk, I just
thought that there has to be access to it, maybe it would be better to
replace all hardwired refs to it with something like 'Smalltalk
default' in order to prepare Squeak for multiple environments, maybe
something else, I don't know.

However, you don't convince me really on finding things in additional
classes.

>In Imports I have a better chance to find stuff related to imported
>objects
>than to namespace whose the only responsibility should be dealing with
>class names.

At first you have to find Imports. Probably you need some more
dictionaries holding data, if you don't want to have this data in
Smalltalk. Isn't this more complicated than to have one single place
where to look for this? Wasn't Smalltalk meant to be the single place
for this?

>> OTOH no one will
>> sift through all classes to find useable but hidden functionality in
>> hidden classes like Xxx>>yyy ( you don't know the selector by then
>> ).
>
>There are several way to learn: sender, reference, class starting
>with.....
>code of file list.

Again I must say you can't use senders of, references to, because you
don't know a selector or a class name, and class name searches with
guessing parts of the name is not easy. Especially because you have to
know beforehand that there is such data referenced by such a class.

Regards,
Martin