A lurkers ravings (was RE: Smalltalk beep -> XXX beep?) (anothertry)

Russell Penney russell.penney at tincanct.com
Wed May 14 00:44:21 UTC 2003

Thanks Stef, I almost didn't send the email but I felt I should
contribute to a community who are working very hard to make a fantastic
system even more fantastic! Better than just whining about it further
down the track. Thanks for making a newbie welcome.

Hmmmm I think you have just pushed the bounds of this indifferent
programmer. Maybe an Exception? Or maybe just for these notifications in
the minimal kernel a different name for the method might do it. Or just
always use primitive beep in the minimal kernel functions.

I was thinking you might have a stub AbstractSound in the kernel, like
you might have stubs for I/O. For example in a headless system I don't
want sound and I want Transcript written to a logfile.
The "public" interface is all you have to stub out, this interface is
put on the swiki and newbies can find the few useful functions for the
subsystems easily. If people want to delve in more they can, but the key
IMHO is to get people up and running fast. That would go a long way to
realising everybody's visions.

I haven't thought this through completely and I know I am simplifying
things, I am very naive :)

Russell