more progress... compiler installation suggestions requested

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed May 14 01:45:43 UTC 2003

> 	Currently I'm at 388K bytes, with 122 classes and
> 10,773 objects.

Cool. Do you have a list of the classes?

> 	What do folks suggest as the best way of getting
> compilation support back into the system after it has been
> removed?

I presume you still got some I/O, right? ;-) What I considered (almost did
it) in the past was to define a truly minimal format for reading
CompiledMethods and providing class definitions. Truly minimal, mind you,
just enough so that you can get the compiler back in. If you formalize this
a little it may actually make a really nice "binary interchange format" for
classes in Squeak.

What you'd need for classes would be:
* Superclass name
* Class name
* format
* ivar names [optional - can be auto-generated]
* category [optional]

and for methods:
* selector
* header word (primitive etc)
* literals (Integer, Float, Character, String, Symbol, Array, Association)
* bytecodes
* category [optional]

Cheers,
  - Andreas