more progress... compiler installation suggestions requested

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed May 14 03:45:23 UTC 2003

Craig Latta <craig.latta at netjam.org> wrote:

> 	What do folks suggest as the best way of getting compilation support
> back into the system after it has been removed?

<i>very carefully</i>
I think I'd agree with Stephen that ImageSegments would be good,
assuming of course that you've got any support for them surviving. If
not... maybe you've gone too far.

Another plausible approach would be to rework the compiler support so
that it _can_ be dropped easily and reliably; then one would use a
minimized image that has compiler(s), add the stuff one needs for the
end use and cut loose the compiler stuff. As I've said before I find
removing stuff much more troubling than adding stuff but if there is a
single well defined package to make removable then it may be worth the
work.

Yet another approach is a cross compile. Since you have great
remote image manipulation voodoo already working, how about compiling in
the 'support' image and sending the result to the 'remote' image?

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Radix lecti = Couch potato