A lurkers ravings (was RE: Smalltalk beep -> XXX beep?)(anothertry)

Russell Penney russell.penney at tincanct.com
Wed May 14 07:33:18 UTC 2003

Richard,
	I really like this idea, to me it satisfies the basic unease I
had with beep.
I just had a look and of the 150 or so senders of beep, about 50% are
from Morphs which override beep anyway so they are not a problem. Some
of the others use Smalltalk beep anyway. So it wouldn't be a major
problem to do.

I sort of picked on beep as an example of what I saw as a serious
problem which has resulted in the KCP and MCP projects. I remember
reading a Smalltalk design type book ages ago (I will see if I can dig
up name and author when I get back from Korea) which said that if you
need to put a method in Object, think again, and think some more and if
there is no other way, sure do it.
For example, imagine you are not a 20 year veteran of Smalltalk or
coding, look at Object, and see that there is 'beep' and 'beep:'. Each
uses a completely different way of playing sound but they are named the
same! That is confusing for the poor bunny who doesn't know Squeak very
well.

Russell