Unix platform code CVS updating

Ivo Rössling iroess at cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed May 14 17:00:18 UTC 2003

> All of the code in the platforms tree for Ian's 3.4-1 and 3.5-1devel
> (as of Tue May 13 21:32:12 GMT 2003) releases is now in CVS.
> These releases are tagged unix-3-4-1and unix-3-5-1devel respectively.
> I have not yet merged all the code into the mainline or deleted
> files and directories that do not appear in unix-3-5-1devel from the
> mainline.

mhhh... obviously you didn't use the "cvs import" command to get the
code into the repository, but instead
you just replaced the files locally in your sandbox and applied a "cvs
commit" - if i get it right from what
the sourceforge web cvs frontend tells me...
with former way (using the "import" subcommand) you would have got
around all the trouble with having
to tag your version manually and with having to remove (or untag) files
by hand later on - "cvs import"
would have imported the code into the vendor-branch and would have
tagged it with the given version
tag such that a checkout using this tag would have created a sandbox
identically to what you have imported
(so without the overhead of "garbage" files derived from older versions
that have been removed once...)

however - this is just  meant to be a hint, not a critic... ;-)
i know how much work it is to import multiple versions of the same
project into a cvs repository -
so my best regards!  :-))

ivo