*ListMorphs

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed May 14 11:39:31 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Lex,
>
> > As for scrolling speed, note that it is  hard for ScrollPane to do
> > better.  The root problem is that the submorphs ivar is a
> > simple Array; a fancier data structure is necessary.
>
> Measuring it a little I found a very specific hot-spot there. Turns out that
> scroll panes spend ages in computing the local submorph bounds of the
> transform which can be trivially cached. Try it!

Oh, well neat!  This still doesn't help much with the initial display
after a list changes, does it?  I seem to remember profiling and finding
that the bottleneck there was all the StringMorph's resizing themselves.

Anyway, for Celeste a definite slow part is just calculating all the
strings, and you still need a tweaked PLM to avoid this.

Lex