Squeak as Linux and other threads

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu May 15 09:46:54 UTC 2003

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
[SNIP]
> If there is a better way to handle dependencies then let's do it, but
> name+version seems to be a fine way to go.

I was more intending to go for UUID + version. So that packages are free
to change their names.

And there are also a bunch of other differences in my plan for
dependencies but I will not go into that right now. But if anyone is
interested you may email me in private. I will write it up soon also. (I
have written about it in posts before though so the archives should
contain quite a lot about it)

> And at any rate, as you say forks are a long way off -- mostly everyone
> is happy with SqueakMap right now.

Yes, a good side effect indeed. And when SM1.1 is in place and we can
attack the dependencies for real I think the reasons for forking will go
away even more. And then when Craigs kernel work finally gets folded
back into official Squeak (whenever that will be) there will really be
very few reasons to fork.

Craig is down below 300kb now. He just said that on IRC.

> Lex

regards, Göran