Altered method code displayed in browser after accept (3.4 #5170)

Chris Becker chbecker at neo.rr.com
Thu May 15 23:33:52 UTC 2003

> From: Nevin Pratt
> I used to do this with VisualWorks (hold shift key down to see the
> bytecodes of the method).  In fact, once it was an *invaluable* trick
in
> finding an obscure GemStone/VisualWorks/Envy interaction bug.  I
didn't
> know the Squeak browsers would do that.
>
> Hmm, I just tried it with a System Browser (Squeak 3.4-5170, on RedHat
> 8.0).  Hold shift key down, click the method name in the top right
pane
> while holding shift down.
>
> Doesn't work.  Doesn't seem to make any difference.
>
> So, how do you do that again?

To display a method's bytecodes you can right-click in the sourcecode
pane and choose 'show bytecodes' near the bottom of the context menu. It
acts as a toggle, so if you choose it again it will revert to the source
view.

But this shift- and control-activated "feature" doesn't display
bytecodes; it displays a decompiled version of the method sourcecode. I
haven't found a use for it yet, and it was quite a nuisance, so I
tentatively commented it out.

Chris