Serial port on OS X

Russel Howe russel at appliedminds.net
Fri May 16 01:11:50 UTC 2003

Hello all,
      I am using Squeak on Mac OS X (VM 3.5.0beta4, image 3.5.5180) and
am trying to communicate over a serial port.  I have a Keyspan USB
adapter which I know is working; I can read and write to this device
from the command line (cat/echo/stty) with no trouble, but I can't
figure out how to get at it in Squeak.
      Under Linux,
port <- SerialPort new baudRate:57600; openPort:1
opens /dev/ttyS1 and readByteArray/writeByteArray provide all the
access I need.
Under OS X, the openPort call never fails (even for ridiculous port
numbers) and I never get any data from a readByteArray.  What device
name is Squeak looking for?  Is there some other way to get at the
serial port in Squeak?  Is the serial port even supported on OS X?  Any
hints would be appreciated.
Russel Howe