Final 3.6 Plan

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri May 16 01:10:49 UTC 2003

Benoit St-Jean <bstjean at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Basic should be close to ST-80 with Morphic instead of
> MVC (well, not sure about this since some people will
> want to run Squeak on PDAs) and minimal stuff to
> develop (e.g. the usual change set browsers, Squeak
> Map, etc).
I'll more or less agree with this (for 3.6 anyway); make a Basic system
be a fairly vanilla development system, enough to program,
load/create/develop packages. No need to get obsessive about the exact
details since we will surely be developing the idea of what belongs
where for some time to come. I _DO_ think that anything we can provide
by way of decent font suport and i18n would be valuable. Developers
deserve nice fonts too.
I would be inclined to keep both morphic and MVC code for 3.6 otherwise
we run the risk of spending a lot of time trying to pull one or other
out. MVC doesn't seem to take a huge chunk of image space. Some time
soon we really ought to do some work on improving the ability of morphic
to be small and simple and fast so we can drop the old MVC code and
clean out all those ugly places where tests for one or the other are
done. Yuck.

> No multimedia, no goodies, just plain Smalltalk close
> to what ObjectWorks 4.0 looked like...
As above, I'd like itto be a little better looking than that...

> My 2 cents.
I guess I'm asking for three cents worth :-)

tim
There are no stupid questions. But, there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.