FileDirectory question- How do you move a file/folder?

Anthony Adachi adachipro at yahoo.com
Fri May 16 23:34:31 UTC 2003

wrote:

>  > FileDirectory has delete and create methods but
it
>  > doesn't appear to have any move methods. How does
one
>  > move a file or folder/directory from within
Squeak?

>  FileDirectory>>rename:toBe: might work; have you
tried it?

Yes, I have. In fact, the method which I'm testing
uses that message to rename a number of files.
However, that method, as it's name says, only renames
files it does not move them.

>  There are many more (platform-specific) subtleties
to the general
>  "move" idea that I'm sure aren't covered by Squeak:
for instance, on
>  many systems you can't actually move a file between
two different
>  file systems. So you have to copy it then delete it
(we also have a
>  FileCopyPlugin).

I'm using Mac OS 9.1 and Squeak 3.5. With AppleScript,
at least, one can move files between folders with
having to delete them. So, I assumed that Squeak would
have the same functionality when used with Mac OS 9.x.

I guess I may have to execute an AppleScript from
within Squeak if I need to move items.

>  And what happens when you try to move a file to a
file system with
>  different naming rules?

I don't know and I'm not sure why that's relevant?

Thanks,

Anthony