FreeBSD Squeak installation problem: ELF binary type "0" not known.

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Sat May 17 13:23:29 UTC 2003

chris moline wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 18:46, Derek Brans wrote:
>

>>I downloaded and installed the Squeak VM from
>>Squeak-3.4-1.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz.  I had to point INSTALL script
>>to the i686-pc-linux-gnu directory
>>

>is there a reason you cant use the squeak port in lang/squeak2 or
>lang/squeak3?
>

>>when I type "squeak" I get the following error:
>>ELF binary type "0" not known.
>>Abort
>>

>prolly cause its a linux binary. you could also try enabling linux
>compatibility and see if that works. enabling linux compatibility should
>be described somewhere in the handbook if you dont know how.
>
>sincerly,
>chris moline

As Chris said, you need to enable linux compatibility in the FreeBSD
kernel.  That means recompiling the FreeBSD kernel.  Check the online
notes, or else Google it to see how to do that.

As an example, my wife's site at: http://www.bountifulbaby.com is Squeak
driven, on a FreeBSD box.  My development machine is a RH Linux 8.0
laptop, and all I do is copy the binary and image from the laptop to the
server, and it works fine.

I've never had any problem with running Linux executables on my FreeBSD box.

Nevin