Comanche Module Design

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Sat May 17 14:05:24 UTC 2003

For anyone who is looking at the latest release of Comanche 6.1, I'm
interested in getting design feedback specifically in the area of the
ComancheModule architecture.

Going forward (6.2), I'd like to make better use of the visitor pattern
to handle incoming http requests.  This should make it easier to handle
the various kinds of http requests (i.e. OPTIONS, HEAD, PROPFIND, and
the various WebDAV requests).  Additionally, I'll probably start to
subclass HttpRequest based on the Http method name (this is especially
need for handling WebDAV requests, which have substantially different
behavior requirements from a more ordinary http request).  Also, use of
the visitor pattern should enable me to eliminate the (ab)use of dynamic
bindings in the few places where I think I might be abusing it.

Additionally, I want to separate out the basic protocol support in
KomHttpServer into it's own package (KomHttpProtocol) and add a new
package for the client side (KomHttpClient).  All of this will make use
of the excellent job Michael is doing on the network rewrite (which I
hope I can count on to be included in the final 3.6 release).

- Stephen