PoolDictionary handling (was Re: [ANN] "Upgrade to 3.6 FullImage" package on SqueakMap)

Anthony Hannan ajh18 at cornell.edu
Sat May 17 15:21:25 UTC 2003

Stephen Pair <stephen at pairhome.net> wrote:
> This solution feels like you're trying really hard to fit something into
> an existing mold rather than changing the mold itself.  Would it not be
> better to go ahead and make the VM actually send the #value message.

The closure compiler compiles Class, Pool and Global variable references
this way.  For example, "Object new" is compiled to "pushLit: Object
association. send: #value:. send: #new".  And "Object _ nil" is compiled
to "pushNil. pushLit: Object association. send: #setInValue:".  "object
setInValue: var" calls "var value: object".  I generate the reverse
notation to match how other assignments are done.  The value is
calculated first then it is stored.  The VM needs no change.

Cheers,
Anthony