instances that know #new, and Perl OO

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon May 19 17:35:01 UTC 2003

On Monday 19 May 2003 01:55 am, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> Thus, my hypothesis seems to be supported.  The Smalltalk community
> doesn't apply #new to non-class instances.
>
> Did I mistate the query, or does the data support my conclusion?

I think it does.

You can also do:

(Smalltalk allImplementorsOf: #new) reject: [ :ea | ea classIsMeta ]

and get the same result, BTW.

I *think* I came to Perl after C++ but before Smalltalk. I remember
thinking that it was rather odd advice to allow instances to be
constructors using the same message. Especially since what was more
often necessary was a real, working clone() method.

I believe now that it's bad and confusing advice.

I just used some of my day's 39 (!) votes on your replies.

--
Ned Konz (apparently still a Saint at perlmonks.org)
http://bike-nomad.com