XScaled Squeak

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Tue May 20 06:17:41 UTC 2003

Aaron J Reichow <reic0024 at d.umn.edu>  wrote...

>In my case, I found that the 206 MHz StrongARM'd Zaurus SL-5500 was about
>20% faster (using #tinyBenchmarks, and considerably faster "feeling") in
>Squeak than the WinCE-based iPAQ 3100 and Jornada 720 I also use with
>Squeak, both with the same 206 MHz StrongARM.  I found out from where this
>performance boost was coming- the Zaurus SL-5500 has a 100 MHz bus, where
>as the iPAQ 3100 has a bus in the area of 30 MHz or so, and the Jornada
>720 has a 50 MHz bus.  Linux + Squeak on an iPAQ performs about the same
>as WinCE + Squeak on the same iPAQ.

As one who hasn't had a chance to use all these machines, I would find it very useful if folks would include the actual tinyBenchmark results for reference.  They are SO easy to cite, even if they are an imperfect measure.

...and just in case folks are interested, I've had a chance to live with the "silent station" that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago (http://solarpc.com/).  It is VERY nice.  Truly under $200 and runs Squeak fine right out of the box.   TinyBenchmarks are: 26M bytecodes/sec and 800k sends/sec -- about what you'd expect for a 533Mhz pentium.  I have left mine running for two weeks with all vent holes covered up and it never gets warm -- I think it's about 3 watts total, but I'll try to get an actual measurement.

So far I'm running off a little IBM microdrive with Windows 98, but hopefully Michael Rueger and I will have some news to report in the coming weeks regarding use of CF flash in place of an IDE drive.  No moving parts except the boot button and the electrons ;-).

	- Dan