Squeak as Linux and other threads

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue May 20 10:19:17 UTC 2003

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
[SNIP]
> > What would it mean to have a reference with both a UUID and a
> > name?  How do you perform the dereference when you are ready to
> > download the real package object?
>
> When you 'ultimately' dereference a package you do it by UUID. However,
> there are only very few places where this is required. For everything
> 'inbetween' you should use 'real objects' (PackageReferences) which allow
> you to think in whatever way is more convenient to you.

Or to put it an other way (provided I understood you correctly) - we
should use objects as "far" as possible and not rely on textual
descriptions. As long as we have objects or at least tools on top that
give us good UIs for doing the mappings to UUIDs - then personally I
think that is a simpler scheme.

Note that PackageReleases will also have UUIDs and those are the ones
you want to refer to. Or - alternatively - you could use the Package
UUID + the automatic version number (can not be changed by the user).

Anyway, I will read up more on Debian - I use it a lot as inspiration,
even though my planned scheme for depedencies is quite a lot different.
But hopefully better for us.

> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

regards, Göran