How to debug primitive failures?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu May 22 00:35:21 UTC 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 12:26:06PM -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Should you actually decide you need to attempt to debug the C code for
> primitives you will find that all the code is available for you to
> peruse, use and alter.
> See http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2106
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2105
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2512
> and so on.

And of course if you actually need to debug the code, just run the
Squeak VM under a debugger, such as gdb if you are on a GNU platform.
Then when your primitive core dumps, you will be a a debugger instead
of just crashing the VM and wondering what went wrong.

Not that I would admit to ever having needed to do this.

Dave