Squeak as Linux and other threads

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Thu May 22 12:10:35 UTC 2003

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

>Dependencies:
>- I know how Debian works and I am gladly borrowing ideas from them.
>BUT... the dependency model that I am planning is different. Simpler and
>IMHO more suitable for our needs. Doing things like have prereqs that
>says "version >= 0.9" or stuff like that I personally do not like

Hooray!!!  There is absolutely no need for such constructs in
prerequisites...I am so glad to hear you say that.

>- how
>would you know for sure? And embedding prereqs inside the packages is
>IMHO pretty dumb. What if you discover they are wrong? Then you need to
>release a new version of the package! And you can only have ONE
>dependency description per package. Anyway, I am writing down my plan
>for this. I have also discussed the plan with many experienced Squeakers
>at OOPSLA and they all liked it.

All you really need is a "named" prerequisite...it doesn't even need to
specify any specific package implementation.  An install script (a
configuration if you will) can decide what package to substitute for any
given pre-requisite.  The simpler we can keep things, the better.

- Stephen