[info] [question] WebService registration.

Masashi Umezawa umejava at mars.dti.ne.jp
Thu May 22 12:33:58 UTC 2003

Hello,

> [INFO!] Thank you Masashi, for your reply. I used the HelloWorld service
> as described in the documentation, but the process failed at the service
> invokation stage.
> The problem was due to the HTTPProxyServer.  You must stop the Proxy
> first and then invoke the service ! I don't know if it's a bug in
> SOAP-CORE or in the HTTP package.

SoapCore can call services through a proxy, but it depends on the proxy
server itself. I think maybe your proxy server does not handle
'text/xml' content-type message. I have tested SoapCore through a proxy
server and it works well. (I'm using DeleGate - it is a multi-platform,
powerful proxy server. http://www.delegate.org/delegate/)

> [Question] In SOAP-CORE, registration (as in the SOAP-Example) is not a
> service ! whish means that I can't have a registery service (like white
> pages or UDDI). In WebServices, a server uses the RegisteryService
> (hosted on a separate machine) to publish it's service description (in
> WSDL for ex.). Then a client can find the service by invoking the
> findService method of the RegisteryService, then he invokes there service.
>
> My questions:
> 1- Can we create a RegisteryService using the SOAP-CORE package ?
> 2- If SOAP-CORE does not support that, is there an alternative solution
> (another package, or a newer version of SOAP-CORE is coming soon!) ?

The simple answer is: SoapCore is a minimal SOAP implementation ( as the
name suggests). No WSDL, no UDDI. Just SOAP.

But as to the directory service, you can use the rich Smalltalk
meta-protocols. So, it would be very easy to implement it.

For example, "SoapServiceHandler defaultServiceHome" returns a
repository of registered services. You can write a simple wrapper class
so that you can access and change the ServiceHome by exporting its methods
via SOAP.

Adding to that, I'm planning to develop some GUI to be able to register
and browse services more easily, but it would take some time...

Cheers,
---
[:masashi | ^umezawa]