[VERY DEEP QUESTIONS] For me

Sean Charles bibbers at onetel.net.uk
Thu May 22 13:35:15 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 04:31 PM, Bovaird, Brian wrote:

> Along these lines....
>
> Is there a method to create an .exe once I have my application completed
> so
> that my customers can just run my executable and would not even know they
> are running smalltalk (Of course I would let them know that in the
> application notes :)  )?

I've released an educational game and had to do something similar. I
finished the game and then took away everything 'dangerous' that might be
possible to do i.e. halo menus! I went to great pains to make the game
bullet-proof and it works quite well.

As for bolting it down to an EXE file, I (shamefully) renamed the exe to
SplashWord.exe so that they could locate 'the game' easily, I DID NOT
change the squeak icon though. The accompanying manual makes quite clear
it is Squeak etc etc and the title screen displays a sliding text message
naming Squeak and the web site. After all, I'm quite proud of the fact it
is Squeak.

There is a secret backdoor password in the game such that if you type it
during gameplay, when you select the 'game exit' option is breaks out to
the dev. project and workspaces for bug-fixing etc etc. Then a call to the
game controller starts a new game and sets the image up for automatically
running the game again when launched. It's not tidy but it works.

I think that there is a package called 'lockdown' or something that offers
facilities for producing a deployable image.

Sean Charles.