Squeak as Linux and other threads

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Thu May 22 13:25:51 UTC 2003

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

>Personally i want the dependency system to describe "verified working
>configurations" and nothing more. Rules like "any version later than x"
>are IMHO not so good.
>
>Instead I want to have the ability to register *multiple* such "verified
>working configurations" and associate them with a PackageRelease. Such a
>config simply says that PackageRelease X works if you have
>PackageRelease y and PackageRelease z installed. Since PackageReleases
>also have UUIDs that is what these configs have internally.
>
>If it turns out this config was wrong - then you change it. There are no
>versions of configs. If you discover another working config then you
>publish that one too.
>
>And when you release a new version of the package (a new PackageRelease)
>then you will simply need to reverify those configurations and if they
>work you can simply "copy" them to the new PackageRelease.

While I agree with the concept that each configuration is it's own
thing, I also think that you need a way of organizing configurations,
and for that reason, I think you need to allow configurations to be
given names and version numbers...although, you might just combine the
name and version number into a single name field...a naming convention
could separate the name from the version number.

- Stephen