Squeak as Linux and other threads

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu May 22 17:10:02 UTC 2003

Hi Stephen!

Stephen Pair <stephen at pairhome.net> wrote:
> goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
>
> >Personally i want the dependency system to describe "verified working
> >configurations" and nothing more. Rules like "any version later than x"
> >are IMHO not so good.
> >
> >Instead I want to have the ability to register *multiple* such "verified
> >working configurations" and associate them with a PackageRelease. Such a
> >config simply says that PackageRelease X works if you have
> >PackageRelease y and PackageRelease z installed. Since PackageReleases
> >also have UUIDs that is what these configs have internally.
> >
> >If it turns out this config was wrong - then you change it. There are no
> >versions of configs. If you discover another working config then you
> >publish that one too.
> >
> >And when you release a new version of the package (a new PackageRelease)
> >then you will simply need to reverify those configurations and if they
> >work you can simply "copy" them to the new PackageRelease.
>
> While I agree with the concept that each configuration is it's own
> thing, I also think that you need a way of organizing configurations,
> and for that reason, I think you need to allow configurations to be
> given names and version numbers...although, you might just combine the

These configs will be so called SMResources (if we go through with my
plan) and as such they are categorizable just like packages are today in
SM. They also have names and a version field.

But I still would like to keep them a bit simpler - meaning that I don't
intend to keep track of versions of an SMResource. I just want to know
the current version. Just like SMCard does today in fact.

> name and version number into a single name field...a naming convention
> could separate the name from the version number.

Eh, well - why?

> - Stephen

regards, Göran