the monopoly of classes

jan ziak ziakjan at host.sk
Thu May 22 21:22:26 UTC 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003 16:03:08 -0400 (EDT), diegogomezdeck wrote
> Hi,
>
> The classes are a good idea but they are not a must for an Object Oriented
> environment.
>
> In Smalltalk/Squeak the classes represent the concepts (the forms in
> Plato's theory).  The relation between the objects and their classes
> is a isA defintion.  And you know, we use to say "everything is an
> Object"... so make sense that every concept is a sub-concept of Object.

yes, that's ok. all that i am capable of recognizing has a name: object. but
not all objects are classes. class is an object. but in smalltalk, every
object belongs to a class.

i think i do not recognize classes of objects but only objects (that's the
definition of recognition), classes are bundles of objects which share some
common property. classes are created solely by my mind, but objects, on the
contrary, emerge from the process of recognition (which includes parts of
mind as well). so it seems good to me to define an object orentied system as
to be composed of objects and not of classes (as for example in Self).

in smalltalk:
1. object must be a class
2. class is an object

i do not see any logic behind this. if you do then a would like to know about
it.