is squeak really object oriented ?

jan ziak ziakjan at host.sk
Thu May 22 22:49:15 UTC 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003 18:15:55 -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote
> On Thursday 22 May 2003 17:15, Andreas Raab wrote:
> > Yayy! What beautiful heretic questions ;-)))
> >
> > BTW, if you are interested in this area you should give eToys a try.
> > They do many of the things you're describing, e.g., make objects
> > tangible and therefore become more oriented to dealing with objects
> > instead of text input.
>
> Another thing to try in Squeak is MorphicWrappers
>
> (http://www.dm.uba.ar/MathMorphs/) though you might have to get
> Squeak
> 2.7 for that.
>
> This question was investigated early in Smalltalk's history in
> several interesting projects, including the Alternate Reality Kit
> (ARK) by Randy Smith.
>
> "Experience with the Alternate Reality Kit: An Example of the
> Tension Between Literalism and Magic" in IEEE Computer Graphics &
> Applications, Sep 1987, pp. 42-50
>
> http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~maratb/cs263/paper/node12.html
>
> This was the inspiration for the Self dialect of Smalltalk where
> your other questions about classes and copying were explored.

the two references above look good.

> If you want to know more about objects capable of copying themselves,
>  look up the "Von Neumann machine" (not Von Neumann computer!).
>
> http://www.brunel.ac.uk/depts/AI/alife/al-vonca.htm

i have read the webpage at the supplied location. i draw the following from
it:
- the automaton is constructed in such a way that IT SUPPORTS the
reproduction process. thus, as i said, the organism (in my case it was a
glass) must be situated in an environment which provides for its reproduction
and thus no object can replicate itself as such.
- an empty cell in von neumann's machine has also its logic, its behavior. so
the question now is: are the empty cells copying the machine or is the
machine copying itself? i thin that the answer to this question is that the
machine exploits its environment in such a way so that it seems to us that it
replicates itself.