the monopoly of classes

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu May 22 22:41:53 UTC 2003

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Andreas Raab wrote:

> BTW, I am very seriously considering doing exactly that - get rid of the
> "visibility" of class object in favour of a global context.

What you're describing sounds somewhat similar to what Ruby does - IIRC,
there's a Kernel mixin whose methods are available from any object, but
which are also available in the global scope.  So if you have a script
like

#!/usr/bin/ruby
10.times do
  |i|
  puts i
end

then "puts" is actually a call to Kernel#puts (and "self" in this context
would resolve to some instance of Kernel).