its objects, all the way down (was: the monopoly of classes)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri May 23 02:27:26 UTC 2003

On Thursday 22 May 2003 22:46, jan ziak wrote:
> ... and C compiler is written in C compiler. but this is what i want
> to mention: squeak is not written in squeak, C compiler is not
> written in C compiler. in both cases, both objects are DISTINCT and
> not the same. it seems that you do not want to try to look at things
> (just for a while) in the way i view them: according to my opinion,
> it is impossible to really write squeak in squeak (similarily with
> the problem of self-reproduction). squeak is written in a system that
> incidentially has the name "squeak" - nothing more, nothing less.

You are partly right - Squeak is certainly written in itself far more
than a C based system is, but the virtual machine when running emulated
inside a Squeak system is actually a separate Squeak system and could
have been written, as you say, in any other language.

I wrote a paper that is mostly about this:

  http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/jabs7.html

It is in compressed Postscript format.

-- Jecel
P.S.: you are still sending multiple copies of most of your replies to
the list