is squeak really object oriented ?

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri May 23 11:00:01 UTC 2003

I beg to differ, I think Jan's outlook is interesting - the fact that we
use certain representations because they are useful for a purpose, and
easy to program around, shouldn't stop us from remembering the primitive
stuff we're actually reasoning about, and considering different
representations to work with.

MathMorphs are something every Smalltalker should try, if only to remind
himself a workspace and browser are by no means the only way to work.

I didn't understand Jan to mean that we misinterpret Squeak objects
because we work with textual representations, just asking what more
direct ways there are. Or maybe differently direct is a better way to
put it, because at the end it is mostly shown as pixels, whatever the
metaphor.

Daniel