Morphforge.

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri May 23 17:20:13 UTC 2003

Alan Grimes <alangrimes at starpower.net> wrote:

> I am refering to 3.5-1devel from Ian's site... (the only one directly
> refferanced by the main squeak.org page -- it seems...)
Hmm, that built fine for me on a RH7.something x86 machine. There have
been some issues with the code working out the floating point endianness
not doingit right on some machines.

> It builds but the binary fails to initialize.
... which sounds a faintly possible issue here. Scan the mail archive
for some fairly recent messages on fixes.

> > CVS the platform tree from SF and do the appropriate incantations as
> > detailed on the swiki and in the unix code doc files.
>
> Oh, in that case it may as well not exist to me because even the thought
> of using a linux program to hack into the sourceforge archive causes me
> an intense nausia and causes me to reach for the Unix Hater's Barf Bag
> that I wish I had whenever I try to do anything with leenooks beyond
> dialing the net and browsing with a mostly dysfunctional installation of
> Mozilla.... =\
<bill clinton>I feel your pain</bill>
Yes, *nix tends to irritate the hell out of me too on occasion. But
there's nothing 'hacking' about getting the sources out of SourceForge.
Just about all platforms seem to have usable CVS clients (hell,
even Acorn has _2_ decent ones!) which make it really simple todownload
stuff and plain old commandline cvs on *nix does the job perfectly well.
See http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2106 for simple instructions. OR,
better yet try sqCVS and avoid even knowing what platform you're on! The
instructions on the swiki page above suggest it is a bit dodgy right now
but maybe Goran has actually fixed the code but not the page? IT worked
nicely when I tried it some time ago.

> Please arange to have development snapshots made available through
> FTP...
This is indeed something we'd like to get around to but the issue of
available time constantly gets in the way. If somebody would like to
offer money I suspect some of those issues could be worked around.

> These descriptions of your accomplishments with Squeak aren't an
> inspiration to me rather they only work to deepen my inferiority complex
> and intense rage against all linux developers... =\
<sigmund>
Oh, Alan, calm down now, take a deep breath and concentrate on
understanding the crucial matters relating to this 'inferiority
complex'. You are, I'm sure, a person of great worth and value. I'm not
sure who too, but there you go. All people are important as human
beings. And as fertiliser. Whoops, did I just say that? Deary me.

Anyway, back to therapy; the crucial point here is that, and you must
remember this and believe it completely and intensely right down to the
very depths of your being - there is nothing wrong with you. The reason
you have these feelings of inferiority is very simply because _you are
in fact inferior_. There, that should make you feel so much better. I'll
send my bill.
</sigmund>

tim :-)
Oxymorons: Tight slacks