[ANN] MMMVM

PhiHo Hoang phiho.hoang at rogers.com
Sat May 24 20:17:02 UTC 2003

Dear Squackers, Squattters, Squeakers, Squidders,
    (in alphabetical order)

Cc: The Tweakers, The Tea-ers, The MouseQueTease, The Croquetteers
    (in reverse alphabetical order)

Bcc: Wizard Professor Dumbledore, Scientist Dr. Evil,
        The Matrix Hackers, The eMagie eVisioners
    (in no particular order)

    I hastily make this announcement after just receiving a package
    from a good friend and proud owner of both the DEC
    mainframe PDP10 and mini PDP8 computers.

    Now sitting on my desk are:

        - A hex printout from a line printer 132 chars/line.
        - A deck of 80 cols. cards.
        - A magnetic tape that all Computer Scientists insist to be visible,
              in any footage of any interview, spinning left and right.
        - A tiny little DEC tape (not duct tape :-)
        - A huge roll of paper tape poorly produced from an old Teletype.
            (speaking as if there is any new Teletype ;-)

    together with what I already had in the basement:

        - An assortment of floppy disks
            (180K, 360K, 800K, 1.2M)
        - An assortment of not so floppy disks
            (1.4M, 2M, 20M, 100M)
        - A CD
        - A DVD

    In all humbleness, I proudly present to you (drum roll........)

                    The MultiMedia Mob VM.

    Actually, I should have waited for the hologram that the eVisioners
    promised some time ago but I decided to go ahead, without it.

    (It may take a very loooong time for a vision to become a reality.
     How long did it take for the printing press to go from a vision
    to a reality ? If anyone cares to come up with a vision that
    Squeak live documents will be in the book morphs, please also
    make an arrangment with Scientist Dr. Evil so that he will bring
    one back in a few hundred years and hopefully one then can use
    the book morphs to learn Squeak ;-)

    Besides, it's already an overkill to package 12KB of MobVM
    into a 180K floppy.

    On the other hand, 180 lines of hex print out produced by the
    line printer is quite comprehensible by a single person.
    (and that is one of the visions of MobVM and I hope I did not
    steal this vision from somewhere ;-)

    Before you ask 'Is MMMVM Object or Component Oriented'
    and if you recall that 'The Medium is the Message' then you
    already know that MMMVM is message oriented.

    If a proper message is sent to any of the media listed above,
    sending a message to a message, it's a MetaSend and now we
    have that perfect triad: MetaClass, MetaObject, MetaSend,
    Squeak will come up from nowhere
    (just like MetaPhysics or eMagie ;-)

    And of course, MMMVM also sends message.

    Cheers,

    PhiHo.