Method Category Pane?

Joel Shellman joel at ikestrel.com
Sun May 25 06:26:41 UTC 2003

Please excuse my newbie questions, I'm trying to read and get up to speed
ASAP.

I'm new to smalltalk and reading through:

http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu:8888/squeakbook/uploads/noel.pdf

and on page 12 it says the third pane in the System browser is the "method
category pane". I thought that was the list of protocols. Are those
synonymous?

Also, it says that those categories are for human readability only, but I
thought I read something that said that different objects/classes could
support the same protocol. Ie. a Car could support the driveable protocol
just as the Bicycle could. If I create a driveable protocol on Car and then
use it on Bicycle, are those the same protocols, or are they different? ie.
given the FAQ entry about finding all classes with a certain protocol:

http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/48

That's just a string search that doesn't actually mean anything. In other
words, two classes could be in the list returned from that call, but they
could be completely unrelated. Is that correct?

Thanks!

-joel shellman