[VERY DEEP QUESTIONS] For me

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue May 27 04:18:16 UTC 2003

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 May 2003 06:12 am, Enrico Bertini wrote:
> > Here are some questions that I have on the Squeak:
>
> My opinion follows (this isn't the opinion of the Guides or the Squeak
> Community at large, necessarily).
>
> > 1)      Is Squeak actually mature for commercial
> > applications/packages/systems?
>
> Some companies have thought so and do think so.
I can talk a little about two; Interval Research and exobox. In both
cases the company believed the technical situation was acceptable (and
remember, Interval made that decision in 1996, exobox in 1999) and in
both cases they found the licensing to be non-problematic.

Both companies did large amounts of infrastructure work since there were
major parts needed for their specific applications.  Much, much, less
than would have been needed if using other systems - obviousy in the
opinion of the engineers involved. Both could quite reasonably had
chosen other, commercial, Smalltalk systems but decided that the cost of
doing a bit more work and joining in the Squeak community was a better
deal than paying commercial license fees. I honestly can't give a
meaningful opinion on that issue. You gain some things, you lose some
things.

As always, to really answer your questions you need to think about the
partial answers we have offered, ask a lot more and then come to your
own conclusions. And then offer some of us lots of money to help do the
work.

tim
Backup not found!  A)bort, R)etry or P)anic?