Image is displayed on startup

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed May 28 03:03:26 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 07:02  PM, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> I saw the user interface in MacOS 9 and recoiled in horror and disgust.
> I've had plenty of opportunity to use MacOS 9; in fact I'll be using it
> during a lecture tomorrow.  However, I have never enjoyed the
> experience.

Somehow the better stability made it worthwhile for me. If you are
twitchy about os-9, then
I'd expect you'll greatly dislike os-x.

> For what it's worth, I have far *worse* problems with Squeak on MacOS
> 9.
> The machine in question is a G3 laptop of some kind.  I copied the
> entire Squeak 3.5 folder across, including the distribution image
> and my modified image.
>
> In MacOS 9, clicking on my modified image gave me a completely blank
> window (which it should not have).  Clicking on the distribution image
> gave me a couple of brush-strokes of Squeaky and an emergency evaluator
> (some problem in BitBlt, I think.)  However, clicking on the VM and
> then
> selecting my modified image gave me exactly what I wanted to see.

Which VM are you using? which version of os-9 and what are the memory
settings
of the squeak VM?. Are you using Open/GL in Squeak? Anyway to determine
which Squeak VM it thought it
launched based on the image? Got more than one VM on the machine? (use
sherlock to find all FAST applications)
Maybe your image memory requirements are too large as compared to what
the squeak vm is set to?

There are a number of memory enhancements to Squeak under os-9.2 which
affect startup.
If the memory allocated to Squeak is under 128mb, then a 128mb virtual
memory swap file is
created, and used for the image, open/GL working storage then comes
from what is allocated to
Squeak (say 40mb). If the memory partition is set > 128MB then the
image is loaded into the memory
partition and a couple of MB is left for open/GL based on the
extraheadroom. If the extraheadroom setting is
adjust, say adding 20mb then that would be left for open/GL to use. For
some people who ran
open/GL with an image < 128mb  or partition set to < 128mb open/gl
would work fine. Then going over the
128mb boundary caused open/GL not to work as expected.  This 'feature'
does not apply to os 9.1

> As long as I have experiences like that with MacOS 9, there is no
> way I am going to "upgrade".

Well these are really issues with the Squeak VM, if we can determine
what is up then I need to fix it.
Remember os-9 isn't going to get any fixes so don't look to Apple to
fix these issues.

===